Despite everything we know about the importance of maintaining a social circle as we age, making new friends after a certain point becomes a challenge. Friends start moving away, growing apart from you, or passing on. This is only natural. However, we may find a void in our lives that only grows bigger with time if we don’t attempt to fill it.
Benefits of Making New Friends
Just like romantic relationships, platonic friendships take time and effort to develop since you may filter through people you may not click with right away. But all the patience will pay off once you’ve found someone who understands your sense of humor and genuinely loves spending time with you. Here are just some benefits of social interaction and putting yourself out there to cultivate new friendships:
- Better mental health
- Improved physical health
- Lower risk of dementia
How to Make New Friends After 50
The easiest way to avoid social isolation is to maintain the current circle of friends you have. Here are a few ways to sneak some catch-up sessions in between your busy life:
- Use Facetime or Skype to catch up with distant loved ones
- Help your grandchildren with their homework or other bonding activities
- Be intentional and present while walking in your neighborhood and make a point to at least greet the people you pass by often
If you’re looking to foster new friendships, we’re proud of you for wanting to put yourself out there. It can be scary, but here are a few surefire ways you can meet new people in your community:
- Take up classes – Local universities even usually offer discounts to older students. Programs catered to mature adults are usually easy to find, you just have to know your interests and do a quick online search.
- Attend fitness sessions – Similar to classes, there are plenty of health and wellness sessions within the community that are catered for older individuals. Many of them even offer classes for wheelchair-bound individuals and those with mobility issues, so anybody can join.
- Volunteer at your favorite charity organization – At these places, you’re likely to find people with similar values as you, making it easier for a friendship to be formed.
Tips When Making New Friends
Even though it may feel nerve-wracking to be the first person to green another, making the first move is always appreciated since not many people are comfortable with breaking the ice. Once that part is over, you’ll have a high chance of making friends more easily since people will feel comfortable around your open personality. You should also pay attention to their interests so that if you find the bakery shop your new friend mentioned, you can try out one of their muffins and then bond over the experience the next time you meet. It’s the little things that count when it comes to friendships.
Why Choose Conservatory At North Austin?
At Conservatory At North Austin offers an unmatched retirement community that hosts a wide array of exclusive senior living programs and we have floor plans designed for every type of mature individual. Our warm team members will ensure you feel welcome with us.
If you have any inquiries about our range of services, feel free to contact us today.